Why join our team?
USO mission and exceptional team, around the world, make this a great place to work. We offer generous paid time off, including volunteer days and military leave. We have an exceptional 401k match, great benefits including training/education reimbursement and really fun team members that put the mission first. Working for the USO is more than a job. It’s a calling. (Do what you like, like what you do)!
Here is what an independent external survey told us:
- 97% agree they like the work they do
- 90% are satisfied with the pay and benefits
- 95% would recommend working here to friends and family
- 95% would recommend the USO services to a friend
The Director, Corporate Accounting & Payroll is responsible for direction, oversight and compliance of monthly close process, federal grant billing, and payroll function for global business activities.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities (*Essential Duties)
- Oversee timely and accurate monthly financial close process and reconciliation. Analyze and determine the impact on financial and accounting systems of existing and proposed policies, procedures, transactions and other business activities, making recommendations for action.*
- Lead and manage production of domestic and global payroll and related processes, including the timely reporting of payroll tax returns and compliance with applicable laws and regulations. *
- Serve as administrator for online commercial banking and travel system software, providing timely and courteous guidance, assistance and problem resolution. Evaluate system capabilities and trends and recommend/implement solutions based on results and organizational needs.*
- Lead and manage the collection of information needed in connection with renewal of the USO’s business insurance, including workers compensation, vehicle insurance, general liability insurance.*
- Oversee the proper application of US GAAP revenue recognition standards and USO policies and procedures against sponsorship agreements, grant agreements, commercial co-venture agreements, and other types of contribution agreements.*
- Lead and manage federal award application process and grant billing program. Oversee compliance with grant terms and conditions and federal regulations. Evaluate and lead implementation of process improvements to improve automation and reporting of federal grant activity.*
- Evaluate system capabilities and trends and recommend/implement solutions based on results and organizational needs.*
- Lead, manage and mentor local and remote professional- and support-level Accounting staff and their subordinates. Perform assigned duties in the absence of Vice President/Controller.*
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting/Finance or related field. CPA preferred.
- 10+ years progressively responsible work experience in a business accounting role, including 5+ years in a supervisory capacity. Relevant experience in a non-profit, military, multicultural and/or global organization preferred.
- Working knowledge of global accounting operations best practices and compliance requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to lead high-performing teams. Ability to achieve desired results while working collaboratively in a team environment.
- Strong interpersonal and problem-solving skills. Ability to interact with USO Leadership, the general public and military audiences at a variety of levels with integrity and professionalism.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment related to controversial and/or culturally sensitive subjects. Ability to handle confidential information with tact and poise.
- Demonstrated initiative/self-motivation, with the ability to quickly and easily adapt to changing organizational needs.
- Proficiency using computers and electronics equipment. Working knowledge of various software, applications, and programs including but not limited to Microsoft Office Suite and business accounting software packages. Great Plains preferred.
- Ability to obtain and maintain proper credentials necessary to access USO Center locations and facilities including but not limited to security, credit and/or background screening, SOFA status, valid driver’s license.
- Must be a strong advocate of the USO’s mission.
- This position is located in Arlington, VA. Preference will be given to local candidates within commuting distance to the location. Remote working arrangements may be considered for highly qualified candidates.
- USO locations will adhere to local area and DOD guidelines regarding COVID vaccination/testing requirements. Employees may be required to be vaccinated or tested regularly per local requirements.
- Resume and cover letter are required for full consideration.
- Background check – education, criminal and driving required.
- The statements contained herein describe the scope of the responsibility and essential functions of this position but should not be considered to be an all-inclusive listing of work requirements. Individuals may perform other duties as assigned including work in other areas to cover absences or relief to equalize peak work periods or otherwise balance the workload.
If that’s not enough to convince you, here are some direct quotes from employees:
- The organization truly cares about the people who work here.
- I have been with the USO for 4 years and have consistently been able to grow in my knowledge and position. It is a fun place to work and my work/life balance is manageable. The way the organization has handled COVID has been top notch - I never felt fearful that I would lose my job or be put in a situation where I did not feel safe. The benefits are great - PTO and 401k matching are top level.
- There is great consideration given and extended in the following areas: organizational core values for all, work-life balance, impact we can actually see (and even experience as a staff member- the feeling of making an impact is priceless), autonomy with respect to current position within the organization.
- Everyone is friendly and easy to talk to. We collaborate well together and share ideas and interests to create fun activities for our overall goal in the community. I couldn't think of a better organization to work for.
- The mission alone provides a positive and meaningful purpose, where people should want to work and be a part of. Most of the people who work for the USO and volunteer for the USO have giving hearts and want to make a difference. This also makes the organization a place where people would want to work.
- The mission and opportunities to make a Difference are amazing. There is no doubt that the USO is one of the most forward-facing, frontline serving nonprofits that I know of.
Apply today and be a force behind the forces