Do you want to work in a break-out industry that sits at the confluence of local food production, hydroponics, and data analytics?
We are looking for enthusiastic, team-oriented, hardworking, fast-on-your-feet, problem solvers who possess a rare blend of tenacity, grit, and can-do attitude to join our team! If you enjoy hard work that is both physically and mentally demanding and are known for your attention to detail, this may be the position for you.
Position Title: “Farm Hand”
Fresh Impact Farms is a commercial hydroponics farm in Arlington, Virginia. We are seeking an energetic, dedicated, and thoughtful Farm Hand who has dedicated interest in urban agriculture and hydroponics. Applicants should have an interest in food, specifically sustainable agriculture and creating urban food security.
This position will be intimately involved in the day-to-day operations of our Farm. The individual selected for this position will have an amazing opportunity to advance their professional career in a growing industry while getting in on the ground floor of a rapidly expanding hydroponic startup. This individual will have the ability to shape their own career pathway within the company.
Fresh Impact Farms was created to change the way America feeds itself. We believe produce should be fresh, delicious, nutritious, and most importantly, local. Our customers are the food industry’s most discerning and exacting members: Chefs of the highest caliber. Just as they demand perfection in every meal they serve, we demand perfection in every plant we cultivate.
We grow a vast array of exotic culinary herbs, edible flowers, and microgreens. Unlike other farms that specialize in 1-2 crops, we grow almost 70 different varieties at any time. Our crop mixes create a complex environment of competing growing requirements that forces our team to quickly think on their feet and have an unflappable resolve.
Our growing team is made up of energetic, passionate, collaborative yet self-motivated individuals who are always eager to take on new challenges. We are a team of people who surround ourselves with individuals smarter than ourselves, who are eager to learn and unafraid to ask the hard questions of each other.
In addition to the requested resume, please also include a one-page cover letter that explains your interest in urban agriculture, three professional references, how you heard about our company, and why you’d be a good fit with our team.
We work hard. Really hard. We do not cut corners. We do not seek easy solutions. We do not shy away from difficult problems. We work early and sometimes late. Weekend work is sometimes required. If “can’t” is in your daily lexicon, this likely isn’t the right position for you.
To learn and grow with an innovative company in an initial part-time opportunity with opportunity for advancement to full-time. Our indoor commercial hydroponics facility will delight your senses while challenging your resolve to improve yourself and the food system overall.
- Daily crop monitoring (nutrient, water, and pH)
- Monitoring for crop health and pests
- Daily hydroponic systems cleaning & maintenance (due to the nature of our operation, cleaning is an essential activity that will dominate some days)
- Delicate Harvesting for some of the most discerning chefs in the region
- Post harvest cleaning
- Crop seeding, transplanting, pruning, and propagation
- Data collection
- Other necessary tasks, as assigned
Physical and Mental Competencies
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Willingness to work in wet and laborious conditions
- Willingness to work in tight spaces
- Ability to follow instructions and complete tasks in a timely manner with an extreme attention to detail
- Ability to work both independently, with minimum oversight, and on small teams
- Tireless work ethic
- Positive working attitude
Compensation & Benefits
The part-time Farm Hand position is a paid position, and the selected candidate will earn $12.50-$20 per hour based on experience. Additional benefits include free produce samples and occasional team outings to our client’s amazing restaurants.
This position is required to be available weekday mornings starting at 8AM with possible requirements for starting as early as 6AM on Tuesdays and Fridays for harvesting. Minimum of 20 hours per week with a potential of up to 40 hours based on requirements. Depending on performance, advancement to full-time salaried positions is a possibility.
Education and Experience
- Recent Graduate (past 5 years) in an agricultural-related field, preferred but not required
- Experience with farm work, preferred but not required
- Experience with hydroponics, preferred but not required
- Experience in labor intensive jobs
- Must be proficient in all Google Suite products, such as Google Drive, Docs, Sheets, and basic database tools.
How to Apply
Please send a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use the following Subject Line: “Applying for Part-time Farm Hand Position”. Competitive candidates will undergo a series of interviews and hands-on assessments. This position will remain vacant until a qualified candidate(s) is found.
Thank you and looking forward to your submission!