EarthOptics is a growing AgTech company developing tools that help farmers more sustainably manage their soil, increase yields and feed the growing world. We are seeking a Software Engineering Manager to join our team. As a Software Engineering Manager you will join our growing engineering team and have people management and individual contributor responsibilities. As a member you will be responsible for leading our Data Applications team, as well as participate in the software development lifecycle. You will work closely with our technical product management, operations, and sales teams to plan and develop scalable software solutions for data collection, visualization, delivery for our customers and internal operations teams.
A Day in the Life…
The Software Engineering Manager for Data Applications is the manager of a cross functional agile team responsible for creating all user-facing front and back end applications for data ingestion and delivery. They are responsible for driving alignment and technical decision making with the members of the data application team, the technical product management team, and principal engineers. This includes people management responsibilities such as mentoring, training and progress reviews as well as technical management responsibilities such as design and code reviews. The Software Engineering Manager is also expected to participate in the software development life cycle, taking on individual contributor responsibilities and helping the team achieve its goals. This could include backend web-app system development, frontend app development, or cloud infrastructure development. It is expected that this role will have a significant individual contributor responsibility as well.
We seek motivated individuals who are eager to gain new skills in a fast-paced environment, and work closely and collaboratively with a team. We are committed to building a diverse team of employees from various backgrounds, educational histories, and industries. We have a competitive compensation package including robust healthcare benefits, paid time off and meaningful equity options grants. Even if you do not meet all of the requirements below, we encourage you to apply - we’d love to hear from you! Learn more at www.EarthOptics.com.
To learn more about working at EarthOptics, visit: https://www.themuse.com/profiles/earthoptics
Job Type: Full-Time, Exempt
Work Location: This remote role welcomes candidates anywhere in the continental US.
Travel: Travel may be required, approximately 10% of the time
Compensation: $119,000-$170,000. Actual pay will be adjusted based on candidate’s experience and geographic location.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Hire and train new members of the data applications team.
- Assist with new employee onboarding for the data applications team.
- Perform reviews and assessments for members of the data applications team.
- Works closely with the technical product management team and SVP of engineering to ensure resources are allocated in order to be successful with our development milestones
- Work closely with the technical product management team to drive alignment between engineering tasks and product goals and set achievable milestones for delivery.
- Conducts code reviews to provide guidance on engineering best practices and compliance with development procedure and takes feedback from those reviews
- Participate in the software development lifecycle as an individual contributor doing backend, frontend or cloud infrastructure development
- Work with Principal Engineers to ensure technical alignment between engineering teams.
- Participate in and lead scrum ceremonies for the data applications team.
- Help design and implement our customer-facing web-based APIs, user management systems, and web applications for gathering and displaying data
What we are looking for:
- Masters Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, or equivalent professional experience
- A proven track record developing fast, reliable, scalable distributed web services.
- 5-8 years of software engineering experience with 3+ years of experience in leading software development teams
- Experience with applications deployed using Amazon Web Services (AWS).
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of RESTful API design, the HTTP stack and Browser limitations
- Experience with Python, Rust and/or Golang for backend development
- Proficiency with Typescript
- Passion for providing software engineering best practices (e.g. unit testing, code reviews, design documentation, and continuous integration).
- Understanding of good UI/UX practices
- Familiarity with container orchestration (Kubernetes, ECS, or similar).
- Experience with common CI/CD methods and tools (Jenkins, Bamboo, TravisCI, etc)
We are interested in every qualified candidate who is eligible to work in the continental United States. However, we are not able to sponsor or transfer visas at this time.
What would make you stand out:
- Background in geospatial data handling
- Understanding of machine learning and AI concepts
- Experience with cloud native geospatial systems
What we can offer:
- Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance - 80% funded by EarthOptics for benefit-eligible employees and dependents
- Company paid LTD, STD and Life Insurance
- Meaningful equity option grants
- 401k Plan + Employer Match up to 4%
- Paid Time Off
- Parental Leave
- Professional Development
- Referral Program
- Flexible Schedule & Hybrid/Remote Work Environment
EarthOptics is an Equal Opportunity Employer and prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of any kind. All employment decisions are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, gender or gender identity, national origin, age, marital, parental, veteran or disability status.