The GW Medical Faculty Associates (MFA) was incorporated in July 2000 as a not-for-profit, physician-led practice group. The organization functioned as an independent organization in support of The George Washington University School of Medicine and Sciences as a multi-specialty physician practice group. The GW MFA has grown to become the largest independent academic physician practice in the Washington, DC metro region with 375 physicians and 100 APP providers. In 2018, the MFA bylaws were revised to allow The George Washington University to serve as the sole corporate member while the MFA retained independent 501c3 status. The purpose of the change was to ensure alignment between the MFA and The George Washington University.
MFA physicians provide comprehensive patient care, offering one practice for the whole person with 52 medical and surgical specialties. As members of the GW School of Medicine and Health Sciences faculty, MFA providers are teachers and mentors for medical students, residents, fellows, and researchers preserving the rich tradition of academics, research, and healing. In addition to maintaining a closely integrated alliance with The George Washington University and The George Washington University Hospital (GWUH) which is separately owned and operated by Universal Health Services (UHS), the GW MFA has active referring relationships with 12 area hospitals.
The GW MFA’s leading healthcare presence in the DC metro region is complemented by a network of community-based practices in DC, Maryland, and Virginia. Given its geographic location in central NW Washington, DC, and proximity to more than 175 resident embassies, the MFA continues to evolve its international clinical outreach.
To perform, under the responsibility and supervision of physicians, clinical patient care service defined as data gathering, diagnostic and therapeutic procedures, management of stable and chronic illnesses; and counseling. The Advanced Practice Provider will be credentialed according to the medical staff regulations. They will be under the supervision of an appropriately credentialed attending physician.
Please note this is an ER position. Typically has 12 ER shifts a month at minimum. 12-hour shifts, 3-night shifts & 2-weekend shifts monthly.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Other duties may be assigned.
- Performs evaluation and problem identification of patients.
- Performs history and physical examination of patients.
- Writes prescriptions and orders, and interprets laboratory data and radiological tests.
- Monitors patient status and response to treatments.
- Documents findings in the medical record.
- Recommends appropriate therapeutic interventions.
- Interacts with consultants as appropriate.
- Provides education and counseling for patients. Directs patient and/or family to agencies dealing with specific illnesses/diseases.
- Orders appropriate therapeutic interventions.
- Supervises NP, PA, health science, and medical students as appropriate.
- NP: A Master's degree in nursing and completion of an approved course of study as a nurse practitioner.
- PA: A Master's degree as a physician assistant and completion of an approved course of study as a physician assistant.
- Current NCCPA certification and D.C. licensure as a Physician Assistant.
- Current ANCC certification and D.C. licensure as an NP.
- Previous experience is preferred. Strongly prefer 2-5 years of ER experience, however will consider a new grad with relevant ER rotations.
- The ideal candidate will have procedural experience as well.
- Sit, stand, bend, reach, and walk for long periods of time in a clinical setting.
- Must be able to occasionally lift, carry, push, or pull over 100 lbs. as part of the role.
- Regularly exposed to healthcare settings that may require personal protective equipment.
- Requires manual dexterity to operate a computer keyboard, calculator, copier machine, and other equipment.