POSITION DESCRIPTION: Phoenix Bikes is a dynamic non-profit community bike shop with a mission to educate youth, promote bicycling, and build community. We reach 400-500 students per year with programs that teach bike mechanics, riding skills and life skills. And, as a small staff, we rely on a dedicated group of approximately 150 volunteers per year that assist in our program and mechanics work. We are looking for a confident Program Assistant to support our innovative youth education program, manage our robust volunteer program, and assist with general bike shop operations. This is a 25-hour-per-week position with afternoon, evening and weekend hours to reach students during their out-of-school time. This position reports to the Education Program Manager.
Youth Education (70%):
- Supervise hands-on learning sessions for middle and high school students that build bike maintenance, safe bike riding, leadership, and life skills.
- Help ensure that the bike shop is a safe, welcoming and fun place for youth.
- Help organize, advertise and lead youth group rides and community service opportunities.
- Write newsletter articles highlighting outstanding youth and shop updates.
Volunteer Management (20%):
- Develop and maintain an outreach strategy to recruit and retain volunteers to support programs.
- Manage the volunteer on-boarding process, including leading monthly volunteer orientations and tracking registration paperwork.
- Lead weekly volunteer nights on a rotating basis with other staff.
- Coordinate volunteers for annual fundraisers and special events.
- Organize events to build community among volunteers and recognize their work.
General Program Support (10%):
- Track and ensure the accuracy of youth and volunteer metrics; suggest ways to improve tracking.
- Respond to email and phone inquiries about bike donations; coordinate logistics for bike pick-ups.
- Assist with purchasing program and shop supplies.
- In collaboration with the Shop Manager, ensure the community bike shop is a safe, clean, and well-organized space for youth participants, volunteers, and customers.
- Share about Phoenix Bikes at various events, including some evenings and weekends.
- Occasionally assist with customer bike repairs and the sale of refurbished bikes.
- Passion for youth; eagerness to see them learn, succeed and have fun!
- Calm and patient when working with youth in chaotic environments.
- Experience in teaching, mentoring or group facilitation; experience in volunteer management preferred.
- Ability to work independently, organize and prioritize work, and manage deadlines.
- Self-starter who enjoys learning new skills and solving problems.
- Clean driving record.
- English fluency required; Spanish or Amharic proficiency preferred.
- Ability to successfully pass a background check.
HOW TO APPLY:
To apply, please send a short cover letter and resume (attached in PDF or Word format) to email@example.com with “Program Assistant” in the subject line.