Are you a tinkerer? Do you enjoy taking things apart and then putting them back together? How about playing with LEGO®? Would you like to use a ridiculous amount of LEGO® materials to teach kids how the world works? If so, then this may be your dream job! ??
Play-Well TEKnologies (http://www.play-well.org) is an educational enrichment company that introduces children in grades K-8 to STEM concepts using LEGO® components.
We are hiring additional smart, creative, dynamic LEGO® Engineering Instructors to join our team delivering our great programs throughout the NoVA area including Fairfax, Springfield, Arlington, Alexandria. This part-time position includes teaching daily after-school programs with some weekend birthday parties throughout the school year, and full day camp programs during the summer.??
Buckle up - this is hard work! Lugging 40 pound totes in and out of your car, leading excited kids through challenging projects, managing classroom conflicts, cleaning up all that LEGO® - this will be the toughest job you'll ever love! ??
- Flexible schedule: availability weekday afternoons and some weekends a must during school year, full weekdays during summer months.
- Experience and passion for teaching PreK-8th grade students in a classroom or summer camp setting.
- STEAM related coursework, interest and/or experience desired.
- Must have a reliable vehicle to transport teaching materials and commute to teaching sites.
- Secure place to store Play-Well teaching kit.
- Pre-employment background check is required.
This is a part-time hourly position, 15 - 20 hours/week (more during summer). Play-Well pays a minimum of 3 hours per daily class session. Paid drive time over 1 hour round trip/day. Pay rate starts at $15/hour during training, $17/hour full rate.
APPLES TO APPLES PAY COMPARISON:
|* Class session 1 hour
|** Excess drive time
|Total pay per class session/day
||$51 + excess drive time
The successful Play-Well Engineering Instructor has...
- Passion for kids and ability to quickly develop good rapport with children while maintaining discipline, and directing the design and building experience.
- Comfort with "controlled chaos."
- Understanding of basic scientific and engineering principles; love of problem solving - makers and tinkerers encouraged to apply!
- An inquisitive, fun-loving personality. We like people who are curious about how things work and are willing to "nerd out" with kids.
WHO WE ARE:
At Play-Well TEKnologies, kids dive into our classes and exercise their innate gift for building. They come away understanding fundamental principles of engineering and physics. The experience boosts their confidence, creativity and ability to collaborate.
We provide project-based programs designed to teach principles and methods of engineering to children, ages 5 - 14, using LEGO®. Our curriculum is designed by engineers, building on the math and science skills students learn during the school year. Utilizing over 20,000 pieces of LEGO® for each class, we engage our students in solving real-world engineering challenges that explore concepts in physics, architecture, and engineering. Our goal is to have our students foster a greater appreciation of how things work, and encourage the qualities of inquisitiveness, self-reliance, and self-confidence in children. We have been growing future engineers since 1997.
**This organization is not affiliated with the LEGO® GROUP.**