Who We Are
Phoenix Bikes is an Arlington, Virginia nonprofit that uniquely combines youth educational programs with a full-service bike shop. We pursue a dynamic mission: harnessing the power of bikes to help youth build passion, purpose, and a place in the community. Our incredible supporters—including individual donors, business sponsors, and bike shop customers—make it possible for us to offer our youth programs entirely free of cost and to offer repairs and sales at affordable prices, so that we can serve the underserved in our community.
The Service Technician’s role is to provide service, sales and shop operations support. This is a dynamic role that requires the ability to quickly transition from one assignment to another and requires keen attention to detail, clear and concise documentation skills, organizational proficiency, and communication skills. The Service Technician will work closely with the Shop Manager and play a key role focused on the intake of bike repairs (including the accurate estimation of recommended repair services), customer service interactions, and organizational upkeep of bikes stored in the shop for service and sale.
This is a full-time position (typically 38 hours per week) that reports to the Shop Manager.
- Perform repair, maintenance, and services on customers' bicycles in collaboration with other staff members and youth interns
- Create customer work orders in the Lightspeed system and take detailed notes regarding repairs
- Refurbish donated bikes for sale
- Input newly complete sale bikes into the Lightspeed inventory system to be listed on the Phoenix Bikes online sales platform
- Accept and process cash, credit card and check payments for services and sales
- Collaborate with other team members on special projects, such as accounting for inventory and reconfiguring the shop
- Represent Phoenix Bikes in a professional manner and provide excellent customer service via phone, text, email, and in person
- Assist with cleaning and organization of the service area, patio area, and used parts area.
Required Qualifications and Desired Skills
- Minimum of one year of professional bike mechanics experience
- Retail experience with strong customer service and communication skills
- Strong foundational knowledge of bikes, bike parts, accessories, and apparel
- Hard-working and self-motivated, with a track record of delivering results on time with minimal supervision
- Proven ability to creatively solve problems
- Ability to work professionally and efficiently in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to lift up to 50 pounds and work on your feet most of the day
- Proficiency with technology; experience with Lightspeed software a plus
- Commitment to social justice, youth leadership, and environmental stewardship
- Fluent in English, with a preference for candidates who are also fluent in Spanish
- Willingness to work a flexible schedule, which will typically be 10am-6pm Tuesday-Friday and 10am-4pm Saturdays
Pay & Benefits
- Pay of $15-17 per hour, depending on experience
- Potential for year-end bonus pay
- 15 days paid time off, 5 sick days and paid federal holidays
- Group health insurance
- SIMPLE IRA including 1% employer match (staff are eligible after one year)
- Access to wholesale pricing on bicycles and accessories
Equal Employment Opportunity
We celebrate and embrace the diversity of everyone who walks through our doors and strive to be an inclusive place that cultivates compassion, expands perspectives, and grows the future stewards of our collective community. In our hiring and in our work, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, national origin, ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical??? condition, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or ?expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
As an organization working directly with youth, we require all staff to successfully pass a background check as a condition of their hire.
Please email a resume and cover letter to Phoenix’s Executive Director Emily Gage at email@example.com.