Role Description Summary
The Network Infrastructure Engineer is a role in the SES Networks Operations Engineering group in which the candidate is responsible for the management and enhancement of the production Global Network Infrastructure. The engineer will gain a broad knowledge of the SES Networks product range as well as SES Networks global core infrastructure. The primary objective of this role is to ensure SES Networks’ customers are provided the highest quality service throughout their lifecycle.
Primary Responsibilities / Key Result Areas
- Responsible for SES Networks Core infrastructure operation and enhancement.
- Develop procedures and training materials for the Network Operations Centre
- Accountability for network training given to the Network Operations Centre
- Interact with other operational groups and support coordination of projects.
- Work with various other engineering groups and provide feedback/feature request to improve customer products.
- Interact with vendors to resolve problems and bugs, perform hands-on testing and troubleshooting.
- Audit and assess network against customer service requirements and best practices.
- Adhere to delivery schedules and manage time accordingly
- Proactively expand areas of knowledge and seek out new experience
- Development of internal technical support documentation and procedures.
- Develop and integrate tools and reporting for NOC.
- Formulate network management strategies.
- Occasional off hours maintenance work supporting different time-zones for critical network events.
- Provide Level 3 support for Network Operations Centre
- Ad-hoc tasks as assigned by line manager
Qualification & Experience
- BS degree in Engineering or Computer Science required
- Juniper certifications and experience, preferred e.g. JNCIP-SP / JNCIE-SP or equivalent experience preferred.
- Cisco certifications, e.g. CCNP/CCIE, or equivalent experience preferred.
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in IP internetworking, preferably with 3 or more years in the satellite arena or a service provider environment
- Extensive TCP/IP and routing knowledge (BGP,OSPF,ISIS,BFD)
- 5+ years of experience in MPLS, Layer 2 / 3 VPNs, VPLS, Carrier Ethernet, CoS/QoS and IPsec
- 5+ years of experience of deployment experience of Quality of Service within a network.
- Familiarity with the MX, SRX, EX Juniper product lines.
- Experience in WAN Optimisation Products.
- Experience with Unix / Linux systems administration and creation shell scripts to automate tasks
- Network analysis and management experience using SNMP, NTP, DNS, SSH, etc.
- Expert level troubleshooting and debugging skills.
- Ability to design, plan, coordinate network maintenance and installation windows.
- Experience of integrating communication systems with multiple vendor components
- Experience with physical design best practices, e.g., rack installation, cabling and management
- Experience in a start-up environment and proven track record of working on complex projects with multiple reporting lines
- Experience of dealing directly with customers and understand how to manage expectations
- A working knowledge of Satellite Systems a bonus